Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

14-76 The burying ground with the Marker in the background

758_9829.jpg 14-76 A visitor to the burying ground Thumbnails14-76 A visitor to the burying ground Thumbnails14-76 A visitor to the burying ground Thumbnails

Side A: Marlborough Quaker Burying Grounds & Meeting House. The Marlborough Society of Friends Meeting was established in 1813 by the Salem Quarterly Meeting at the request of the Springfield (Damascus) Meeting. The Marlborough Friends and Lexington Friends combined to become the Alliance Friends in 1865 and relocated to 322 East Perry Street in Alliance, which was the site of a Methodist Episcopal Church. The Marlborough Friends Meeting House and the burying ground were sold to W.W. Holibaugh in 1897 and remain in private ownership. When State Route 619 was widened in 1941, some burials were exhumed and re-interred Side B: Same. Same