Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

11-76 Marker Setting

623_109326.jpg Thumbnails11-76 The marker 7/21/ 2013Thumbnails11-76 The marker 7/21/ 2013Thumbnails11-76 The marker 7/21/ 2013Thumbnails11-76 The marker 7/21/ 2013Thumbnails11-76 The marker 7/21/ 2013Thumbnails11-76 The marker 7/21/ 2013Thumbnails11-76 The marker 7/21/ 2013

Side A: Lexington Quaker Cemetery. The earliest settlers to Lexington Township were members of the Society of Friends, or Quakers, many who came from Virginia and New Jersey between 1805 and 1807. They chose this site for its proximity to the Mahoning River, which in early days held great promise as a commercial waterway. Amos Holloway platted the Village of Lexington in 1807. Pioneer Jesse Felts, who died in 1818, is reported to be one of the first interred at this site. The cemetery is still used occasionally for burials. Side B: Same. Same