Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

4-74 Marker

516_114004.jpg Thumbnails4-74 #4-74 Early Electric Illumination, 1884 St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church and markerThumbnails4-74 #4-74 Early Electric Illumination, 1884 St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church and markerThumbnails4-74 #4-74 Early Electric Illumination, 1884 St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church and markerThumbnails4-74 #4-74 Early Electric Illumination, 1884 St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church and markerThumbnails4-74 #4-74 Early Electric Illumination, 1884 St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church and markerThumbnails4-74 #4-74 Early Electric Illumination, 1884 St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church and markerThumbnails4-74 #4-74 Early Electric Illumination, 1884 St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church and marker

Side A: Early Electric Illumination, 1884. When St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church was dedicated on January 6, 1884, an ornate brass chandelier presented by the Edison Electric Light Company provided illumination for the ceremony. Wired for electric lighting before its completion, St. Paul's was one of the first churches in the nation lighted by Edison lamps. The Tiffin Edison Electric Illuminating Company, the first central electric power station in Ohio and the tenth in the United States, was built in Tiffin in late 1883. With a 100 horsepower boiler, a 120 horsepower engine, and two dynamos, it supplied direct current sufficient to light 1,000 lamps. It stood two blocks north of this site. The original brass "electrolier" still hangs in the sanctuary inside. Side B: Same. Same