Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

1-74 Risdon Square Site

84_109336.jpg 1-74 Risdon Square SignThumbnails1-74 Fo-town1-74 Risdon Square SignThumbnails1-74 Fo-town1-74 Risdon Square SignThumbnails1-74 Fo-town1-74 Risdon Square SignThumbnails1-74 Fo-town1-74 Risdon Square SignThumbnails1-74 Fo-town1-74 Risdon Square SignThumbnails1-74 Fo-town1-74 Risdon Square SignThumbnails1-74 Fo-town

Side A: Risdon Square. This monument marks the square of the village of Risdon founded 1832. The land was owned by John Gorsuch, who settled here with his family in a clearing along the Portage River in 1831. He had a plat of the area made by David Risdon, Seneca County surveyor, after who the town was named. This plat was officially recorded September 13, 1832. The village of Risdon had the first church and post office, and has the oldest house in Fostoria. Side B: Map of plat. Map