Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home / Subjects Courthouses + Chillicothe /

3-71 Chillicothe Statehouse

406_3098.jpg 3-71 Ohio's First Capital at ChillicotheThumbnails3-71 Replica of First Statehouse, Chillocothe3-71 Ohio's First Capital at ChillicotheThumbnails3-71 Replica of First Statehouse, Chillocothe3-71 Ohio's First Capital at ChillicotheThumbnails3-71 Replica of First Statehouse, Chillocothe

⇧ Go to Chillicothe Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
Winchester's Camp No. 2
Title, side B
Preston Island
Address
Across the road from 1016 East River Drive
Defiance, 43512
Location
At a small pullout on the S side of the road
Latitude
41.2897830
Longitude
-84.3466330

Picture Details

Title
Chillicothe Statehouse
Caption
This illustration is of the Ross County courthouse, which became Ohio's first statehouse in 1803. The building was torn down in 1852. Chillicothe was named the capital of the Northwest Territory in 1800 and became the first capital of the state of Ohio in 1803. The presence of influential men such as Thomas Worthington, the "father of Ohio statehood" and Edward Tiffin, Ohio's first governor, near Chillicothe made the city a convenient place to locate the capital. The capital was moved to Zanesville in 1810, but returned to Chillicothe in 1812. In 1816 Columbus became the permanent state capital (Om3146_001).