Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home / Subject Courthouses /

3-71 Ohio's First Capital at Chillicothe

406_3097.jpg 3-71 THE PRESENT COURT HOUSE IS BEING CLEANED.Thumbnails3-71 Chillicothe Statehouse3-71 THE PRESENT COURT HOUSE IS BEING CLEANED.Thumbnails3-71 Chillicothe Statehouse3-71 THE PRESENT COURT HOUSE IS BEING CLEANED.Thumbnails3-71 Chillicothe Statehouse

⇧ Go to Courthouses Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
Winchester's Camp No. 2
Title, side B
Preston Island
Address
Across the road from 1016 East River Drive
Defiance, 43512
Location
At a small pullout on the S side of the road
Latitude
41.2897830
Longitude
-84.3466330

Picture Details

Title
Ohio's First Capital at Chillicothe
Caption
A photographic reproduction of an illustration depicting the buildings that served as Ohio's first capital in Chillicothe from 1803-1810. Zanesville served as the capital city from 1810 to 1812. In 1812, the capital was again moved to Chillicothe, where it remained until 1816. The Statehouse in Zanesville held the Ohio legislature from 1810-1812. The building closely resembled the capitol building at Chillicothe, but was built in the Federal style. In 1812 the capital was temporarily moved back to Chillicothe where it remained until December 1816 (AL02773).