Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

16-71 As of July 2010, the Marker has not been erected.

1024_126342.jpg Thumbnails16-71 The First Presbyterian Church PlaqueThumbnails16-71 The First Presbyterian Church PlaqueThumbnails16-71 The First Presbyterian Church PlaqueThumbnails16-71 The First Presbyterian Church PlaqueThumbnails16-71 The First Presbyterian Church PlaqueThumbnails16-71 The First Presbyterian Church PlaqueThumbnails16-71 The First Presbyterian Church Plaque

Side A: The First Presbyterian Church. Organized in 1798 by Reverend William Speer, the First Presbyterian Church is the oldest congregation in Chillicothe. Members of the church, led by Reverend Hugh S. Fullerton, hired a teacher to educate African American children in Chillicothe. Fullerton, an avowed abolitionist, encouraged his congregation to aid fugitive slaves as they made their way to Canada. The First Presbyterian Church was a part of the Chillicothe Presbytery. In 1835, the Chillicothe Presbytery sent a letter to their sister presbytery in Mississippi outlining a very strong stand against slavery. Side B: Same. Same