Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

14-71 James H. Dickey

1019_4153.jpg Thumbnails14-71 Concord Presbyterian ChurchThumbnails14-71 Concord Presbyterian ChurchThumbnails14-71 Concord Presbyterian ChurchThumbnails14-71 Concord Presbyterian Church

Side A: Concord Presbyterian Church. The Concord Presbyterian Church congregation organized in 1805. The Concord Church was an integral part of the antislavery movement and was a station on the Underground Railroad. Reverend James H. Dickey, the congregation's second pastor, was known to be "an avowed anti-slavery man" and an "active Ohio abolitionist." The Anderson and Galbraith families, who were members of the congregation, were Underground Railroad conductors. Fugitives hid in the loft of the church until they could be taken to the next station in either Frankfort or Chillicothe. Side B: Same. Same