6-67 Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College)
- Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College)
- This 5" x 3.5" (12.7 x 8.9 cm) photograph depicts the original building of the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, now known as Hiram College, in 1858. The building was later called Hinsdale Hall after B.A. Hinsdale, president of the college from 1870 to 1882. The Disciples of Christ founded the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute as a nonsectarian, coeducational preparatory school in 1849. Once the denomination's fellowship in the Western Reserve decided to establish the institution, a contentious debate over its location arose. After thirteen rounds of voting, Hiram was chosen as the site of the institution. The school opened on November 27, 1850 despite the fact that the building was not yet completed. Many of the students came from the surrounding farms and villages of the Western Reserve, but Hiram soon gained a national reputation and students began arriving from other states. The school attained collegiate rank in 1867 and changed its name to Hiram College.