- Title, side A
- Admiral Ernest J. King
- Title, side B
- Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The International Paper Company Foundation, and The Ohio Historical Society
- 2750 Ashland AvenueLorain, 44052
- Adm. King High School, 2750 Ashland Avenue
- Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College) Faculty Photograph
- This 8" x 10" (20.3 x 25.4 cm) photograph shows faculty and their wives in 1858. Pictured are (left to right): James A. Garfield, Mrs. Everest, Harvey W. Everest, Hannah S. Morton, J. Harrison Rhodes, John M. Atwater, and Lucretia Rudolph Garfield. Lucretia Rudolph (1832-1918) married James A. Garfield in 1858. She was the daughter of Hiram founder Zeb Rudolph and enrolled as a student in 1851. J. Harrison Rhodes (d. 1891) of Massillon, Ohio taught English, mathematics, and modern languages at the institute from 1854-1863. The Disciples of Christ founded the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute as a nonsectarian, coeducational preparatory school in 1849. Once the denomination's fellowship in the Western Reserve decided to establish the institution, a contentious debate over its location arose. After thirteen rounds of voting, Hiram was chosen as the site of the institution. The school opened on November 27, 1850 despite the fact that the building was not yet completed. Many of the students came from the surrounding farms and villages of the Western Reserve, but Hiram soon gained a national reputation and students began arriving from other states. The school attained collegiate rank in 1867 and changed its name to Hiram College.