Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home / Portage County / 6-67 Hiram College, Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, 1850 /

6-67 Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College) Faculty Photograph

1062_4804.jpg 6-67 Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College) Faculty PhotographThumbnails6-67 Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College)6-67 Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College) Faculty PhotographThumbnails6-67 Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College)6-67 Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College) Faculty PhotographThumbnails6-67 Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College)6-67 Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College) Faculty PhotographThumbnails6-67 Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College)

⇧ Go to 6-67 Hiram College, Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, 1850 Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
Hiram College, Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, 1850
Title, side B
Same
Address
11753 Garfield Road (OH 700)
Hiram, 44234
Location
In front of Hinsdale Hall
Latitude
41.3119140
Longitude
-81.1436320

Picture Details

Title
Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College) Faculty Photograph
Caption
This 8" x 10" (20.3 x 25.4 cm) photograph shows faculty and their wives in 1858. Pictured are (left to right): James A. Garfield, Mrs. Everest, Harvey W. Everest, Hannah S. Morton, J. Harrison Rhodes, John M. Atwater, and Lucretia Rudolph Garfield. Lucretia Rudolph (1832-1918) married James A. Garfield in 1858. She was the daughter of Hiram founder Zeb Rudolph and enrolled as a student in 1851. J. Harrison Rhodes (d. 1891) of Massillon, Ohio taught English, mathematics, and modern languages at the institute from 1854-1863. The Disciples of Christ founded the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute as a nonsectarian, coeducational preparatory school in 1849. Once the denomination's fellowship in the Western Reserve decided to establish the institution, a contentious debate over its location arose. After thirteen rounds of voting, Hiram was chosen as the site of the institution. The school opened on November 27, 1850 despite the fact that the building was not yet completed. Many of the students came from the surrounding farms and villages of the Western Reserve, but Hiram soon gained a national reputation and students began arriving from other states. The school attained collegiate rank in 1867 and changed its name to Hiram College.