Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home / Subjects Civil War + Courthouses /

1-64 Philip H. Sheridan Home

549_3192.jpg 1-64 Major General Philip H. SheridanThumbnails1-64 Sheridan Monument, Somerset1-64 Major General Philip H. SheridanThumbnails1-64 Sheridan Monument, Somerset1-64 Major General Philip H. SheridanThumbnails1-64 Sheridan Monument, Somerset1-64 Major General Philip H. SheridanThumbnails1-64 Sheridan Monument, Somerset

⇧ Go to Courthouses Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
West Side Market
Title, side B
Same
Address
1979 West 25th Street
Cleveland, 44113
Location
West Side Market
Latitude
41.4844574
Longitude
-81.7034737

Picture Details

Title
Philip H. Sheridan Home
Caption
This home belonged to Civil War General Philip Henry Sheridan, who built it for his parents in 1859. Located on South Columbus Street in Somerset, Ohio, the house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Sheridan (1831-1888) was born to Irish immigrants John and Mary Sheridan, who settled in Somerset, Ohio. He graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point in 1853. When the Civil War broke out in 1861, Sheridan was a captain in the army. By the end of the war, he was a major general. Just before his death he became the fourth man to receive the grade of full general, following George Washington, Ulysses S. Grant, and William T. Sherman. In his career he held numerous important positions, including commander of the Army of the Shenandoah, military governor of Texas and Louisiana, and commander in chief of the U.S. Army (Om3043_001).