Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
549_3192.jpg 1-64 Major General Philip H. SheridanThumbnails1-64 Sheridan Monument, Somerset1-64 Major General Philip H. SheridanThumbnails1-64 Sheridan Monument, Somerset1-64 Major General Philip H. SheridanThumbnails1-64 Sheridan Monument, Somerset1-64 Major General Philip H. SheridanThumbnails1-64 Sheridan Monument, Somerset

⇧ Go to 1-64 The Sheridan Monument / 1829 Courthouse Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
The Sheridan Monument
Title, side B
1829 Courthouse
Address
100 Public Square
Somerset, 43783
Location
NW part of Public square, N. Columbus Street and W. Main Street
Latitude
39.8072420
Longitude
-82.2995950

Picture Details

Title
Philip H. Sheridan Home
Caption
This home belonged to Civil War General Philip Henry Sheridan, who built it for his parents in 1859. Located on South Columbus Street in Somerset, Ohio, the house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Sheridan (1831-1888) was born to Irish immigrants John and Mary Sheridan, who settled in Somerset, Ohio. He graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point in 1853. When the Civil War broke out in 1861, Sheridan was a captain in the army. By the end of the war, he was a major general. Just before his death he became the fourth man to receive the grade of full general, following George Washington, Ulysses S. Grant, and William T. Sherman. In his career he held numerous important positions, including commander of the Army of the Shenandoah, military governor of Texas and Louisiana, and commander in chief of the U.S. Army (Om3043_001).