Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home / Ottawa County / 8-62 Gibraltar Island /

8-62 Cooke Castle, Gilbraltar Island

524_3171.jpg 8-62 MarkerThumbnails8-62 Gibtaltar Island 8-62 MarkerThumbnails8-62 Gibtaltar Island 8-62 MarkerThumbnails8-62 Gibtaltar Island 8-62 MarkerThumbnails8-62 Gibtaltar Island

⇧ Go to 8-62 Gibraltar Island Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
Gibraltar Island
Title, side B
Same
Address
Across from 878 Bayview Avenue
Put-in-Bay, 43452
Location
Near the Stone Laboratory sign
Latitude
41.6579620
Longitude
-82.8272280

Picture Details

Title
Cooke Castle, Gilbraltar Island
Caption
This image shows Cooke Castle, Gibraltar Island, ca. 1880. Built circa 1864 by Jay Cooke, Cooke Castle was used as a vacation home by four generations of the Cooke family. Today, the house and the island are owned by The Ohio State University, where it maintains the Stone Laboratory, a freshwater research and teaching facility (AL03667).