Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

6-62 The Marker

399_131745.jpg Thumbnails6-62 The Marker off the roadThumbnails6-62 The Marker off the roadThumbnails6-62 The Marker off the roadThumbnails6-62 The Marker off the roadThumbnails6-62 The Marker off the road

Side A: The Keeper's House. Built in 1822, this native limestone structure was the home of Benajah Wolcott, first keeper of the Marblehead Lighthouse (originally called the Sandusky Bay Light), and his second wife, Rachel Miller Wolcott. Benajah maintained the lighthouse from 1822 until his death ten years later. After Benajah's passing the U.S. Government appointed Rachel as the keeper, making her the first female lighthouse keeper on the Great Lakes. The building is the oldest known residence still standing in Ottawa County and is a fine example of a "hall-and-parlor house," an early American home design. Side B: NULL. Same