Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

10-62 Ottawa County Courthouse

602_6069.jpg 10-62 Ottawa County CourthouseThumbnails10-62 Ottawa County CourthouseThumbnails10-62 Ottawa County CourthouseThumbnails

Side A: Ottawa County Courthouse. As the county seat, Port Clinton is home to the present Ottawa County Courthouse, completed on May 20, 1901 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Constructed in the Richardson Romanesque style, the exterior of the courthouse was built using sandstone quarried at Amherst, Ohio. Pink marble wainscoting, an ornate staircase, and stenciling enhance the interior. A copy of William Powell's mural, "Perry's Victory on Lake Erie," is featured along with smaller murals depicting early county industries - farming, fishing, fruit growing, and quarrying. Memorial tablets honor veterans from the Spanish-American War and Civil War. Side B: Same. Same