Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

11-60 Easy Parking The marker sits in Front of the academy Jefferson st is in the background

381_108686.jpg Thumbnails11-60 Anti-Slavery Tensions in MuskingumCountyThumbnails11-60 Anti-Slavery Tensions in MuskingumCountyThumbnails11-60 Anti-Slavery Tensions in MuskingumCountyThumbnails11-60 Anti-Slavery Tensions in MuskingumCountyThumbnails11-60 Anti-Slavery Tensions in MuskingumCountyThumbnails11-60 Anti-Slavery Tensions in MuskingumCountyThumbnails11-60 Anti-Slavery Tensions in MuskingumCounty

Side A: The Stone Academy. Constructed of sandstone quarried from nearby Putnam Hill, the Stone Academy dates to 1809. The Springfield School House Company erected the building, it is believed, to lure the statehouse from Chillicothe. However, when Zanesville was chosen as the capital the following year, the building was used for public functions and for its "intended" purpose as a school. The Ohio Anti-slavery Society held its state conventions here in 1835 and 1839, with prominent abolitionist leader Theodore Weld, among others, in attendance. The Stone Academy became a private residence after 1839. In the 1870s, it was the childhood home of Elizabeth Robins, the famed late-nineteenth and early-twentieth century actress, playwright, author, and activist. The Stone Academy was donated to the Pioneer and Historical Society of Muskingum County in 1981. Side B: Same. Same