Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

7-58 The Stockport Mill

426_6201.jpg 7-58 The Stockport Mill Thumbnails7-58 Stockport Mill7-58 The Stockport Mill Thumbnails7-58 Stockport Mill7-58 The Stockport Mill Thumbnails7-58 Stockport Mill

Side A: The Stockport Mill. The Stockport Mill, the third on this site since 1842, was built in 1906 by the Dover brothers. Using a pair of 40-inch Leffel turbines, it harnessed water power for both milling and generating electricity for the town. Known for its Gold Bond, Seal of Ohio, and Pride of the Valley refined flours, the Stockport Milling Company shipped its products by steam packet boat and over the Ohio & Little Kanawha Railroad before the era of all-weather roads. The mill also functioned as a community hub where local farmers obtained supplies and shared news. It ceased operation as a feed mill in 1997. Side B: Same. Same