Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

5-55 Lock Nine Marker

359_8662.jpg 5-55 Remainder of LockThumbnailsMarker 5-55 setting5-55 Remainder of LockThumbnailsMarker 5-55 setting5-55 Remainder of LockThumbnailsMarker 5-55 setting5-55 Remainder of LockThumbnailsMarker 5-55 setting

Side A: Lock Nine. Completed in 1837, the limestone lock nine served as a catalyst for the growth of Piqua. The lock helped connect the village to Cincinnati (1837) and Toledo (1845) by way of the Miami and Erie Canal. German immigrants traveled up the canal from Cincinnati and settled within a five-block area of the lock. Industries used the lock as a source of water power and developed products as diverse as flannel, flour, and flax seed. Lock nine remained as a functioning part of the canal until its destruction during the flood of 1913. Side B: Same. Same