Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

30-55 Marker along S.R. 40

106094_120510.jpg 30-55 MarkerThumbnails30-55 MarkerThumbnails30-55 MarkerThumbnails30-55 MarkerThumbnails30-55 MarkerThumbnails30-55 MarkerThumbnails

Side A: Phoneton. Once the center of telephone communications in America, Phoneton, originally platted as Phonetown, was established in 1893 by the American Telephone and Telegraph Company (AT&T) as the place to service and operate three major telephone and telegraph lines that intersected here on the National Road. AT&T built a repeater station to service the lines and employed as many as forty switchboard operators who lived in a hotel and boarding house constructed by the company. Other employees were bused in from neighboring towns. All operations were moved to Dayton in 1936. Side B: Same. Same