Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

590 10447

590_10447.jpg Thumbnails2-54 Maria Stein ConventThumbnails2-54 Maria Stein ConventThumbnails2-54 Maria Stein Convent

Side A: Maria Stein Convent and Relic Chapel. The Sisters of the Precious Blood, founded in Switzerland by Maria Anna Brunner in 1834, began their ministry of prayer and education in Mercer County here at Maria Stein (Our Lady of the Rock). Father Francis de Sales Brunner, a Missionary of the Precious Blood, brought the Sisters to America in 1844, and in 1846 established the foundation at Maria Stein, named after a Benedictine Abbey in Switzerland. The convent was the Motherhouse of the Sisters of the Precious Blood until 1923. Relics of the saints were brought to this site from Italy in 1875. The present convent and relic chapel (National Marian Shrine of the Holy Relics), built during 1890-1902, were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Side B: Same. Same