Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

5-52 The marker is on the south side ofthe road in the dairy's parking lot

863_110045.jpg Thumbnails5-52 The SettingThumbnails5-52 The SettingThumbnails5-52 The SettingThumbnails5-52 The SettingThumbnails5-52 The SettingThumbnails5-52 The SettingThumbnails5-52 The Setting

Side A: Elm Farm Dairy. In 1927, Henry Abell, a master plumber, purchased a 100-acre dairy farm. When the Great Depression struck the nation two years later, Abell could find little work as a plumber and decided to develop his dairy farm. In 1934, he and his family began the Dairy, growing the farm to 500 acres and producing enough milk, ice cream, and other dairy products to supply five counties. The dairy closed in 1979, but today houses America's Ice Cream and Dairy Museum, dedicated to the cultural history of the ice cream and dairy industry in Ohio and the United States. Side B: Same. Same