Side A: The Independent Order of Odd Fellows Canfield Lodge No. 155. The Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) traces its origins to mid-18th-century England, where it served as a mutual benefit society for traveling workmen. Odd Fellowship moved to the United States in 1819; the first Ohio lodge was established in 1830, and the Canfield Lodge was instituted in 1850. The charter members of this lodge were E.J. Estep, John G. Kyle, James Powers, W. M. Prentice, and William W. Whittlesey. Many of the early members of this lodge were businessmen, lawyers, physicians, and tradesmen. Lodge 155 remains one of the oldest active lodges in northeastern Ohio. (continued on other side) Side B: Same. (continued from other side) The Canfield Independent Order of Odd Fellows received its charter on January 18, 1850, and in 1857 acquired its first lodge building, which stood on the northeast corner of Broad and Main streets. The land and building on this site (the St. Cloud Hotel, a former stagecoach inn) was purchased in 1924. The present building was built in 1970. The Odd Fellows became the first national fraternity to welcome women when it first conferred the Degree of Rebekah in 1851. The Canfield Lodge has hosted a Rebekah Lodge since 1912.