Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

26-50 Founder : LENORA BERRY 1867-1946- BWHS

106049_117497.jpg 26-50 Inside Thumbnails26-50 Marker Day Jody Blankenship Ohio Historical Society 26-50 Inside Thumbnails26-50 Marker Day Jody Blankenship Ohio Historical Society 26-50 Inside Thumbnails26-50 Marker Day Jody Blankenship Ohio Historical Society

Front Text: St. Augustine Episcopal Chapel was founded by Lenora Evans Berry, an African American woman, in 1907. A lifelong Baptist, her mission was the development of the Episcopal Church for African Americans in Youngstown. Mrs. Berry's husband, bricklayer Thomas D. Berry, the son of master builder P. Ross Berry, became the church's first senior warden and treasurer. The congregation met in St. John's Parish until they were able to obtain property on Parmalee Avenue. In 1912, Reverend John Ogburn was officially called to vicar. In 1920, work began on plans for a new church. The structure was designed by Charles F. Owsley and construction began after more than six hundred individuals from the community attended the laying of the church's corner stone on September 11, 1921. St. Augustine Chapel is the oldest African American church and congregation in Youngstown still in its original location and structure. Back Text: Same