Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

7-48 Freighters Docked on the Maumee River

201_2899.jpg 7-48 Manufacturing District in ToledoThumbnails7-48 Parade in Toledo, Ohio7-48 Manufacturing District in ToledoThumbnails7-48 Parade in Toledo, Ohio7-48 Manufacturing District in ToledoThumbnails7-48 Parade in Toledo, Ohio7-48 Manufacturing District in ToledoThumbnails7-48 Parade in Toledo, Ohio

Side A: Toledo. After consolidation of the villages of Fort Lawrence and Vistula, the City of Toledo was incorporated in 1837. Originally named "Toledo" in 1833, the site became part of Ohio when the "Toledo War," a bloodless boundary conflict with Michigan, was resolved by Congress in 1836. Settlers were attracted by the commercial potential of the Maumee River, called "Miami of the Lake," and later the Miami-Erie Canal. (Continued on other side) Side B: Same. (Continued from other side) With water and rail transportation, Toledo developed into a major trade center and world port. Before 1900, Toledo manufactured large numbers of bicycles and wagons. In this century, Toledo has become a major automotive manufacturing center. The glass industry was attracted to Toledo in 1888 by the discovery of natural gas south of the city. Since then, Toledo has been widely known as "Glass Capital of the World."