Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

31-48 Wabash & Erie Canal

291_2788.jpg 31-48 Miami & Erie CanalThumbnails31-48 Buckland Lock at the Wabash & Erie Canal31-48 Miami & Erie CanalThumbnails31-48 Buckland Lock at the Wabash & Erie Canal31-48 Miami & Erie CanalThumbnails31-48 Buckland Lock at the Wabash & Erie Canal

Side A: Miami & Erie Canal. The Wabash & Erie Canal opened between Toledo and Lafayette, Indiana, May 8, 1843. The Miami Extension Canal was completed to Junction, Ohio, on July 4, 1845, linking the Wabash & Erie Canal with Cincinnati and resulting in changing the canal's name to the Miami and Erie Canal. Prosperity reigned until the 1850s when railroad competition caused a slow decline in commerce. The canal branch to Indiana was in disuse by 1858 and totally abandoned in 1888. The canal system was revived from 1906-1909 with much reconstruction and improvement only to be badly damaged by severe statewide flooding in 1913. The canal was maintained from here to Maumee for generating hydro-electric power until it was drained in 1929. Twelve miles of canal and the Maumee Side Cut Canal have been leased to the Toledo Area Metroparks since 1932. Side B: Same. Same