Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

457 4725

457_4725.jpg Thumbnails4-7 The SettingThumbnails4-7 The SettingThumbnails4-7 The Setting

Side A: Historic Bridgeport. Colonel Ebenezer Zane, one of the founders of Wheeling, laid out the village that became Bridgeport in 1806 on the site of Fort Kirkwood (1789). Originally named Canton, it acquired its present name after the bridge to Wheeling Island was built. The arrival of the National Road in 1818 made the growing town a major portal into the state of Ohio for westbound emigrants, adding to its importance as a port for Ohio River traffic. With the advent of railroads and, later, transcontinental highways, Bridgeport continues to serve as Ohio's "Gateway to the West." Side B: Same. Same