Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

2-48 House of Four Pillars

54_142657.jpg Thumbnails2-48 Marker 7-7-13Thumbnails2-48 Marker 7-7-13Thumbnails2-48 Marker 7-7-13Thumbnails2-48 Marker 7-7-13Thumbnails2-48 Marker 7-7-13Thumbnails2-48 Marker 7-7-13Thumbnails2-48 Marker 7-7-13

Side A: House of Four Pillars. Theodore Dreiser wrote in 1900 his famous novel, Sister Carrie, in this house. It was built in 1835 and altered to Greek Revival Style in 1844. Dreiser acquired it in 1899. The house possesses most of the features typical of the American "classic temple" including four Doric columns rising the full length of the structure. In 1967 the house is owned by the William M. Hankins family. Side B: Same. Same