Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home / Subjects Glass Industry + Toledo /

17-48 Glass Capital

219_10905.jpg Thumbnails17-48 Edward D. LibbeyThumbnails17-48 Edward D. LibbeyThumbnails17-48 Edward D. LibbeyThumbnails17-48 Edward D. Libbey

⇧ Go to Toledo Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
Woodland Cemetery
Title, side B
Same
Address
6901 Woodland Avenue
Cleveland, 44104
Location
'SW corner of circle in the center of the cemetery
Latitude
41.4906705
Longitude
-81.6420956

Picture Details

Title
The Libbey Glass Works
Caption
Attracted by the promotion of a civic group, as well as abundant fuel, Edward Drummond Libbey relocated his glass operation from Massachusetts to Toledo in 1888. His company was renown as a producer of fine art glass. Michael J. Owens, a Libbey Superintendent, developed the first fully automatic bottle-making machine in 1903. His invention revolutionized the industry and helped eliminate child labor in glass factories (AL07682).