Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home / Lucas County / 17-48 The Glass Capital /

17-48 Glass Capital

219_10905.jpg Thumbnails17-48 Edward D. LibbeyThumbnails17-48 Edward D. LibbeyThumbnails17-48 Edward D. LibbeyThumbnails17-48 Edward D. Libbey

⇧ Go to 17-48 The Glass Capital Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
The Glass Capital
Title, side B
Same
Address
NE of 200 N St. Clair Street
Toledo, 43604
Location
SE corner of N St. Clair St and Madison Ave, N of the fountain in Levis Square Park
Latitude
41.6509500
Longitude
-83.5347860

Picture Details

Title
The Libbey Glass Works
Caption
Attracted by the promotion of a civic group, as well as abundant fuel, Edward Drummond Libbey relocated his glass operation from Massachusetts to Toledo in 1888. His company was renown as a producer of fine art glass. Michael J. Owens, a Libbey Superintendent, developed the first fully automatic bottle-making machine in 1903. His invention revolutionized the industry and helped eliminate child labor in glass factories (AL07682).