Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

17-47 Columbia Township

922_109003.jpg Thumbnails17-47 The Marker is onthe north side of the roadThumbnails17-47 The Marker is onthe north side of the roadThumbnails17-47 The Marker is onthe north side of the roadThumbnails17-47 The Marker is onthe north side of the road

Side A: Columbia Township. Founded in 1807, Columbia was the first continuously inhabited settlement in Lorain County. Harmon, Levi and Azor Bronson, Calvin Hoadley, Jared Pritchard and others formed the Waterbury Land Company to buy the township from the Connecticut Land Company. In 1808, Sally Bronson named the township and became its first teacher. In 1809, the first church society was formed and Hoadley built a log gristmill beside the Rocky River. A militia company was organized in 1810 and a two-story blockhouse was constructed for protection during the War of 1812. Side B: Same. Same