Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

7-45 Bank of the Alexandrian Society 9/14/13

249_140396.jpg Thumbnails7-45 Bank of the Alexandrian Society 9/14/13Thumbnails7-45 Bank of the Alexandrian Society 9/14/13Thumbnails7-45 Bank of the Alexandrian Society 9/14/13Thumbnails7-45 Bank of the Alexandrian Society 9/14/13

Side A: Bank of the Alexandrian Society. Built by William Stedman in 1816 of local stone, this building served as the Bank of the Alexandrian Society, which printed its own currency. The bank failed in 1817 and 1837. This building has also been used as a store, post office, and interurban railway depot. It was enlarged and opened as a museum during Granville's Sesquicentennial Celebration in 1955, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Granville Historic District in 1980. Side B: Same. Same