Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

22-45 Canal Construction

105997_131085.jpg 22-45 The WorksThumbnails22-45 Early Transportation in Newark with mural22-45 The WorksThumbnails22-45 Early Transportation in Newark with mural22-45 The WorksThumbnails22-45 Early Transportation in Newark with mural22-45 The WorksThumbnails22-45 Early Transportation in Newark with mural22-45 The WorksThumbnails22-45 Early Transportation in Newark with mural22-45 The WorksThumbnails22-45 Early Transportation in Newark with mural22-45 The WorksThumbnails22-45 Early Transportation in Newark with mural

Side A: Early Transportation in Newark. During the 1830s, the Ohio & Erie Canal was built through Newark. The Lockmaster's House was home to the lockmaster of Lock #9. In 1852, the first railroad locomotive steamed into Newark, signaling the beginning of the end for the canal. By 1871, the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad took over the Lockmaster's House and the encompassing land, and built the Little Red House on the corner for the stationmaster and telegraph operator. Passenger and freight stations, a freight yard, and roundhouse were constructed nearby and served as a B&O Division Point. In 1881, the Scheidler Machine Works built a factory to manufacture steam engines and sawmills. This building now houses The Works Museum. In 1890, an electric interurban railway line connected Newark's B&O Station to the Toledo & Ohio Central station in Granville. By 1908, the old canal was filled-in. Interurban service ended in 1929 when the city purchased buses. Side B: Same. Same