Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

22-45 Early Transportation in Newark

105997_109291.jpg 22-45 Early Transportation in NewarkThumbnails22-45 Scheidler Michine Works22-45 Early Transportation in NewarkThumbnails22-45 Scheidler Michine Works22-45 Early Transportation in NewarkThumbnails22-45 Scheidler Michine Works22-45 Early Transportation in NewarkThumbnails22-45 Scheidler Michine Works22-45 Early Transportation in NewarkThumbnails22-45 Scheidler Michine Works22-45 Early Transportation in NewarkThumbnails22-45 Scheidler Michine Works22-45 Early Transportation in NewarkThumbnails22-45 Scheidler Michine Works

Side A: Early Transportation in Newark. During the 1830s, the Ohio & Erie Canal was built through Newark. The Lockmaster's House was home to the lockmaster of Lock No. 9. In 1852, the first railroad locomotive steamed into Newark, signaling the beginning of the end for the canal. By 1871, the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad took over the Lockmaster's House and the encompassing land, and built the Little Red House on the corner for the stationmaster and telegraph operator. Passenger and freight stations, a freight yard, and roundhouse were constructed nearby and served as a B&O Division Point. In 1881, the Scheidler Machine Works built a factory to manufacture steam engines and sawmills. This building now houses The Works Museum. In 1890, an electric interurban railway line connected Newark's B&O Station to the Toledo & Ohio Central station in Granville. By 1908, the old canal was filled-in. Interurban service ended in 1929 when the city purchased buses. Side B: Same. Same