Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

6-43 The Setting

264_108024.jpg Thumbnails6-43 The MarkerThumbnails6-43 The MarkerThumbnails6-43 The Marker

Front Text: On this site, the evening of December 29, 1866, a group of men gathered in the First Baptist Church for a prayer meeting which resulted in the founding of the Painesville Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA). Two years later the YMCA outgrew its headquarters at the Baptist Church and moved to upstairs rooms at 71 Main Street. In 1905 it purchased the former Steele mansion on Painesville's Park Place and relocated once again. The Painesville YMCA and the county YMCA merged in 1922 to become the Lake County YMCA, the second oldest YMCA in continuous existence in Ohio. Back Text: Same