Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

5-43 Old Lighthouse at Fairport Harbor

69_2710.jpg 5-43 The Marker 5/10/2014Thumbnails5-43 Fairport Harbor5-43 The Marker 5/10/2014Thumbnails5-43 Fairport Harbor5-43 The Marker 5/10/2014Thumbnails5-43 Fairport Harbor5-43 The Marker 5/10/2014Thumbnails5-43 Fairport Harbor

Front Text: Lighthouse and keeper's dwelling, erected in 1871 to replace the 1825 structures designed by Jonathan Goldsmith. From the time it guided early settlers into the Western Reserve until it was decommissioned in 1925, this station served Great Lakes shipping for its most important 100 years. The present, well-proportioned tower, constructed of Berea sandstone, is an outstanding engineering achievement. Back Text: Same