Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

19-43 Rose Capital 2

701_133186.jpg 19-43 Rose Capital 1Thumbnails19-43 Back of Marker19-43 Rose Capital 1Thumbnails19-43 Back of Marker19-43 Rose Capital 1Thumbnails19-43 Back of Marker19-43 Rose Capital 1Thumbnails19-43 Back of Marker19-43 Rose Capital 1Thumbnails19-43 Back of Marker19-43 Rose Capital 1Thumbnails19-43 Back of Marker

Front Text: From the 1920s through the 1970s, Mentor was recognized as the Rose Capital of the Nation. Lake effect climate, a variety of soils, and abundant water made Mentor ideal for growing roses. Over a dozen growers produced about five million plants a year from their fields in Mentor. The Civic Center Complex was once a massive field of roses, and streets such as Tea Rose, Wyant, and Rosebud were named in honor of the blossoms that grew so abundantly here. Notable growers include Gerard K. Klyn, the largest rose grower in the Midwest; Joseph Kallay, who in 1932 received U.S. patent No. 10 for "Blaze;" Melvin E. Wyant, accredited rose grower, judge, and lecturer; Joseph J. Kern, nationally recognized expert on old fashioned roses; and Paul R. Bosley, who specialized in hybrid tea roses. By the 1970s, increased land values and development led to depletion of much of Mentor's nursery lands. Back Text: Same