Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

13-43 The Setting

505_108004.jpg Thumbnails13-43 The MarkerThumbnails13-43 The MarkerThumbnails13-43 The Marker

Front Text: First known as the Webster House, later as the New England House, and finally as the Old Tavern, this inn has served travelers on the old Cleveland-Buffalo Road (now State Route 84) since before Ohio became a state. As traffic on the old Indian trail increased and it became a post and stage road, the two original log cabins, built in 1798 and later, were converted to this two-and-a-half story inn between 1815 and 1820. While the tavern was the scene of Civil War-era parties and dances in the second-floor ballroom, local tradition suggests it offered much more clandestine hospitality to escaping slaves as a station on the Underground Railroad. The Unionville Tavern was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1973. Back Text: Same