Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

2-42 Rest Stop

279_116467.jpg 2-42 RR BridgeThumbnails2-42 0-6-0 Engine2-42 RR BridgeThumbnails2-42 0-6-0 Engine2-42 RR BridgeThumbnails2-42 0-6-0 Engine2-42 RR BridgeThumbnails2-42 0-6-0 Engine2-42 RR BridgeThumbnails2-42 0-6-0 Engine2-42 RR BridgeThumbnails2-42 0-6-0 Engine

Side A: Little Indian Fields. Named for the Native Americans who first dwelled here along both sides of the Kokosing River, the Little Indian Fields is adjacent to the site of the first white settlement of Knox County. Early white inhabitants of this land were Andrew and Catherine Craig and Benjamin and John Butler. John "Appleseed" Chapman planted an apple orchard near here at the confluence of the Kokosing River and Centre Run and in 1809 bought two lots in Mount Vernon. In 1808 the Ohio Legislature created Knox County and later designated Mount Vernon as the county seat. Side B: Same. Same