Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

1-42 Christ Church at the Quarry

105_123101.jpg Thumbnails1-42 Marker SiteThumbnails1-42 Marker SiteThumbnails1-42 Marker SiteThumbnails1-42 Marker Site

Side A: Christ Church at the Quarry. The stone masons brought from England by Bishop Chase to construct early buildings at Kenyon College settled in this area. In the 1850's with the help of Episcopal Bishop Gregory T. Bedell, they and other families in the community built "Quarry Chapel" on land given by John Bateman. William Fish, owner of a nearby quarry, donated the sandstone. The church stood unused and deteriorating since 1937. Restoration began in 1972. Side B: Same. Same