Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

8-33 Duncan McArthur

242_3004.jpg 8-33 Ft. McArthur Marker Coins on StonesThumbnails08-33a8-33 Ft. McArthur Marker Coins on StonesThumbnails08-33a8-33 Ft. McArthur Marker Coins on StonesThumbnails08-33a8-33 Ft. McArthur Marker Coins on StonesThumbnails08-33a

Side A: Fort McArthur Cemetery. Approximately 1000 feet east of this marker lies the graves of sixteen American soldiers from Fort McArthur who gave their lives during the War of 1812. The fort, a one-half acre timber stockade containing huts, was built in the summer of 1812 to guard the Scioto River crossing of Gen. William Hull's "Trace" to Detroit. Construction of the fort was under the command of a future Ohio governor, Col. Duncan McArthur. Side B: Same. Same