Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

11-33 School being used as a private residence

275_112944.jpg 6-36 Lincoln School MarkerThumbnails65-31 The Marker6-36 Lincoln School MarkerThumbnails65-31 The Marker6-36 Lincoln School MarkerThumbnails65-31 The Marker6-36 Lincoln School MarkerThumbnails65-31 The Marker6-36 Lincoln School MarkerThumbnails65-31 The Marker6-36 Lincoln School MarkerThumbnails65-31 The Marker6-36 Lincoln School MarkerThumbnails65-31 The Marker

Side A: The Black and White Schoolhouse. Built in 1886 by direct descendants of slaves, the Black and White schoolhouse provided education for local youth until 1928. Denied admission to white schools in the area, local African-American families first built a log schoolhouse across the road in 1883 in which to educated their children. Three years later, this brick building was constructed. The black families allowed white children to attend and, as a result, the school became known as the Black and White school. It is an early integrated school in Ohio. Side B: Same. Same