Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

1-33 The Setting

118_108366.jpg Thumbnails1-33 The MarkerThumbnails1-33 The MarkerThumbnails1-33 The Marker

Side A: Hog-Creek Marsh. Comprising 8,000 acres of Brookston-Crosby soils, the marsh is named for Hog Creek which drains it. Once a shallow lake, cranberries, wild flags and grasses flourished here. Reclamation (1868) cost $13.00 per acre. Dredging was done by steam scow; lateral ditches were hand dug by spade. The original grade of 1/3" in 100' proved ineffective for onion, beets and potatoes. In 1949 restored drainage outlets breathed new life for today's soybean and corn agriculture. Side B: Same. Same