Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

8-32 Location

175_113957.jpg Thumbnails8-32 Marker Side AThumbnails8-32 Marker Side AThumbnails8-32 Marker Side AThumbnails8-32 Marker Side AThumbnails8-32 Marker Side AThumbnails8-32 Marker Side AThumbnails8-32 Marker Side A

Side A: The Village of McComb. The village was laid out on August 18, 1847, by Benjamin Todd, and consisted of 18 lots in Section 26 of Pleasant Township. Originally named Pleasantville, it was incorporated in 1858 and the name was changed in honor of Maj. Gen. Alexander Macomb, famous for defending Plattsburgh, N.Y., during the War of 1812 and later Commander of the U.S. Army. William Chapman was the first mayor. Side B: None. The first school was a crude log structure, built in 1838 on West Main Street. The post office was established January 14, 1850. On July 4, 1881, the first passenger train run was made to McComb on the Nickel Plate Railroad. The fire department was organized in 1884, with 40 members. In 1887 natural gas became plentiful, $1.50 per month paid for lighting and cooking, $2 for heating. The library was established in June, 1921. The Miller-McComb Hospital was completed in 1936.