Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

13-32 Marker Side B

190_113961.jpg 13-32 Marker Side AThumbnails13-32 Check out the stable near by13-32 Marker Side AThumbnails13-32 Check out the stable near by13-32 Marker Side AThumbnails13-32 Check out the stable near by13-32 Marker Side AThumbnails13-32 Check out the stable near by13-32 Marker Side AThumbnails13-32 Check out the stable near by13-32 Marker Side AThumbnails13-32 Check out the stable near by13-32 Marker Side AThumbnails13-32 Check out the stable near by

Side A: Village of Arcadia. Settled in 1833, Arcadia was one of the last permanent villages to be established in eastern Hancock County. Pioneers Ambrose, David, and Ephriam Peters laid out the farming village on the south edge of "Wild Cat Thicket." They found the resident Wyandot Indians friendly and helpful. Arcadia was incorporated in 1859. Soon after, the Lake Erie & Western, and the New York Chicago & St. Louis railroads entered the village. (Continued on other side) Side B: The Arcadia Heritage. 1830s Methodist Episcopal Society established 1833 First log schoolhouse 1855 135 lots laid out 1859 Arcadia incorporated 1863 Four physicians in practice 1872 Lutheran church built 1880s Two hotels, a drug store, a broom factory, and a handle factory in business 1889 Coal-gas plant for heat and light 1900s Reeves Park located on east edge of town 1916 Electric plant