Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

99-25 99_25marker2

105925_108655.jpg 98-25 #98-25 Mount Vernon Community School EntranceThumbnails99-25 St_Clair298-25 #98-25 Mount Vernon Community School EntranceThumbnails99-25 St_Clair298-25 #98-25 Mount Vernon Community School EntranceThumbnails99-25 St_Clair298-25 #98-25 Mount Vernon Community School EntranceThumbnails99-25 St_Clair2

Side A: St. Clair Hospital. In 1911 local doctors founded the St. Clair Hospital. The home adjacent to the hospital served as a residence home and training school for nurses. In 1940, the hospital was converted into a convalescent home. In 1948, Mr. and Mrs. William J. Garrett, an African-American couple, transformed the facility into a hotel. The Hotel St. Clair, which closed in 1976, accommodated African Americans who were not permitted to stay in white hotels. It also served as a social gathering place for members of Columbus' black community. Side B: Same. Same