Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

57-25 Trinity Lutheran Seminary 9/7/13

762_140365.jpg Thumbnails57-25 Trinity Lutheran Seminary 9/7/13Thumbnails57-25 Trinity Lutheran Seminary 9/7/13Thumbnails57-25 Trinity Lutheran Seminary 9/7/13Thumbnails57-25 Trinity Lutheran Seminary 9/7/13

Side A: Trinity Lutheran Seminary. The German Seminary of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Ohio, the first Lutheran theological seminary west of the Appalachian Mountains, began instruction under Pastor Wilhelm Schmidt in Canton in 1830. The seminary relocated to Columbus at this location in 1831. After becoming part of Capital University in 1850, it occupied temporary campuses before locating permanently on the National Road, east of Columbus, in 1876. There the seminary was known as the Evangelical Lutheran Theological Seminary. In 1959, the seminary separated from Capital University. In 1978, it merged with the Hamma School of Theology of Wittenberg University, taking the name Trinity Lutheran Seminary. This united seminary was a significant harbinger of the formation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America in 1988. The cornerstone of the first seminary building erected on this site in 1832 is located on the Trinity Lutheran Seminary campus in Bexley. Side B: Same. Same