Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home / Subjects Churchesx + German Americansx + Catholic churchesx /

28-25 St Mary's Church, Columbus

400_7003.jpg 28-25 St Mary Church MarkerThumbnails28-25 St Mary Church MarkerThumbnails28-25 St Mary Church MarkerThumbnails28-25 St Mary Church MarkerThumbnails28-25 St Mary Church MarkerThumbnails28-25 St Mary Church MarkerThumbnails

⇧ Go to Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
Chestnut Grove Cemetery
Title, side B
Same
Address
Chestnut Grove Drive, just west of Lewis Road
Olmsted Falls, 44138
Location
Chestnut Grove Cemetery
Latitude
41.3793330
Longitude
-81.8961210

Picture Details

Title
St Mary's Church, Columbus
Caption
The fa?ade of St. Mary's Church in German Village, Columbus. St. Mary Church was dedicated in 1868 in response to the spiritual needs of the growing German-Catholic population of Columbus' South Side. The original schoolhouse, which stands behind the church, was erected in 1865 under the direction of Rev. Francis X. Specht, St. Mary's first pastor. It served as a temporary house of worship until the Gothic-style church was completed. St. Mary's distinctive spire - soaring 197 feet into the Columbus sky - was added in 1893 (AL07011).