Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home /

28-25 St Mary's Church, Columbus

400_7003.jpg 28-25 St Mary Church MarkerThumbnails29-25 #30-25 Historic Lockbourne Front28-25 St Mary Church MarkerThumbnails29-25 #30-25 Historic Lockbourne Front28-25 St Mary Church MarkerThumbnails29-25 #30-25 Historic Lockbourne Front28-25 St Mary Church MarkerThumbnails29-25 #30-25 Historic Lockbourne Front28-25 St Mary Church MarkerThumbnails29-25 #30-25 Historic Lockbourne Front28-25 St Mary Church MarkerThumbnails29-25 #30-25 Historic Lockbourne Front

⇧ Go to Home Marker Home


Marker Details


Picture Details

Title
St Mary's Church, Columbus
Caption
The fa?ade of St. Mary's Church in German Village, Columbus. St. Mary Church was dedicated in 1868 in response to the spiritual needs of the growing German-Catholic population of Columbus' South Side. The original schoolhouse, which stands behind the church, was erected in 1865 under the direction of Rev. Francis X. Specht, St. Mary's first pastor. It served as a temporary house of worship until the Gothic-style church was completed. St. Mary's distinctive spire - soaring 197 feet into the Columbus sky - was added in 1893 (AL07011).