Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

21-25 Starling Medical College

322_10906.jpg ThumbnailsIMG 8640ThumbnailsIMG 8640ThumbnailsIMG 8640ThumbnailsIMG 8640

Side A: Starling Medical College and St. Francis Hospital. This site, now Grant Medical Center, was the original location of the neo-gothic building that housed St. Francis Hospital and Starling Medical College, named for Columbus benefactor Lyne Starling. Established in 1849, Starling Medical College/St. Francis Hospital was significant as it was the first institution in the United States, governed by a single board of trustees, designed to combine patient care and clinical teaching in the same building. The Sisters of the Poor of St. Francis served the hospital during its existence. Starling Medical College was the forerunner of The Ohio State University College of Medicine, and St. Francis Hospital continued as a teaching hospital until it closed in 1955 and was later razed in 1957. Side B: Same. Same